N°99 - 040T henschel - 1916
The Pithiviers Transport Museum has 3 locomotives of this type. The number 99 was built in Germany by the company Henschel und Sohn in 1916. It is the oldest locomotive of this type in France.
a locomotive that pleases
This series of machines was marketed from 1905 until the early 1920s, it is the largest series of 60cm track locomotives (about 2500). It is a “Brigadelok” type machine, called in France DFB meaning Deutsch FeldBahn (German country railways). The objective was to run on so-called "portable" track, these were coupons of rails only placed on the ground by the soldiers to create ephemeral railway lines, which had the advantage of not leaving traces to enemies. So that it can borrow the smallest possible radii of curvature, the two extreme axles (the first and the last) are equipped with the Klein Lindner system. The principle is that the axle has a lateral clearance which allows an inscription in curves of 30 meters radius. This type of locomotives is characteristic of the German army during the war of 14-18. There are still hundreds of these preserved locomotives in the world today.
a decorative locomotive
This locomotive is a bit special, because when it was bought from the sand pits of Bourron-Marlotte in Seine et Marne bearing the number 8, it was incomplete since it was being revised. Therefore the association decided to put it on loan to the city of Pithiviers in 1999 to create a decoration on a roundabout at the entrance of the town (Etampes side). The cabin as well as the water tanks were rebuilt, and all the recoverable parts such as crankshaft or injectors were dismantled then stored to be used for the other machines in the event of repairs. It is therefore today on the Georges Stephenson roundabout, near the Pithiviers shopping center. It is accompanied by two tipping skips.