N°5 - 030T blanc-misseron - 1902
This "type 77" machine is one of a kind and has probably the most amazing history of locomotives in the Pithiviers Transport Museum. It was built in 1902 by the manufacturer Blanc-Misseron (subsidiary of Tubize, in Hainaut in Belgium) , in the Ateliers du Nord de la France (ANF). This locomotive has the distinction of having two manufacturer numbers: 282 for Blanc-Misseron and 1317 for Tubize. Typical passenger service machine, recognizable by its original “movement covers” (parts used to cover the crankshaft of the machine to avoid any problems during city traffic), as well as its crankshaft designed to allow driving as well both in forward and reverse, trams are not always equipped with turntables or turning triangle (allowing the locomotive to be repositioned in forward for the return journey).
a long story
This locomotive began its career at the Paramé Tramway in Rothéneuf, opened in June 1896, it will bear the number 4. Indeed, following the Universal Exhibition in Paris in 1889, where Decauville had installed a network in portable way, many tramway projects are springing up all over France. The Paramé line in Rothéneuf, located in Brittany, used since its opening small locomotives type 020T with 2 driving axles, but these were not powerful enough for the complicated profile of the line. In 1902 the tram received this locomotive with 3 driving axles which made it possible to form heavier trains. Unfortunately this network was not profitable enough and went bankrupt in 1914. A general demand for equipment arrived at the start of the First World War, the 15th Army Engineer, then in charge of the narrow gauge military railways, recovered a large part of the material for the Paramé Tramway in Rothéneuf, to be used on the Front. The Couthon company bought it after the War. It will be rented from the Pithiviers Tramway in Toury from 1923 for a period of 3 years, it will then be exchanged on March 02, 1926 for a 021T Decauville locomotive (manufacturer number: 176) called "Bazoches" from 1893. The 3-5 will be baptized "Couthon" or "the 706" which was his number at Couthon. The number 3-5 will appear around 1930. It provided traction for freight trains and some special trains organized by FACS in the 1960s.
which doesn't stop at the museum
Indeed, its story does not end there! The Loiret department, then owner of the line and equipment for the Pithiviers Tramway in Toury, sold this locomotive to the team that created the association in 1966. It is still in working order because it was used by the TPT until its closure in December 1965. It was the company that produced the very first tourist train for the Association of the Museum of Transport in Pithiviers, on April 23, 1966. It would provide most of the traffic for several years before receive a boiler and a new hearth in 1982. It will be stopped from 1999 to 2007, then will still ensure many circulations until 2015, where it will be placed in the museum temporarily.