N°4 - 040T henschel - 1917
The Pithiviers Transport Museum has 3 locomotives of this type. Number 4, built by Henschel und Sohn, a German manufacturer, in 1917, is the only one in working order.
a locomotive that pleases
This series of machines was marketed from 1905 until the early 1920s, it is the largest series of 60cm track locomotives (about 2500). It is a “Brigadelok” type machine, called in France DFB meaning Deutsch FeldBahn (German country railways). The objective was to run on so-called "portable" track, these were coupons of rails only placed on the ground by the soldiers to create ephemeral railway lines, which had the advantage of not leaving traces to enemies. So that it can borrow the smallest possible radii of curvature, the two extreme axles (the first and the last) are equipped with the Klein Lindner system. The principle is that the axle has a lateral clearance which allows an inscription in curves of 30 meters radius. This type of locomotives is characteristic of the German army during the war of 14-18. There are still hundreds of these preserved locomotives in the world today.
from military to industrial
Our locomotive number 4 began its career on the German side during the Great War (with the serial number HF1551), but being built in 1917, it will not participate long. From 1946 it will be sold to the sand pits of Bourron-Marlotte, in Seine and Marne by the Brunner & Marchand companies located in Bouray-sur-Juine in Essonne, it will carry the number 12. As the name suggests, the pits have to transport sand in small wagons. The Bourron sand pits collected the sand from quarries and then transported it to the Loing Canal, where it left on barges.
to the tourist
This machine was bought in 1969 by an individual who took it to the Transport Museum of Pithiviers to run it. It will be classified as a "Historic Monument" there on October 30, 1987. The association will buy it back in 1993, since it will have almost never stopped rolling, and since 2019 it will sport a pretty black livery that recalls its past.