N°3 - 030T decauville - 1928
The 030T Decauville from the Pithiviers Transport Museum was built in 1928 for the Toury sugar refinery, one of the ends of the Pithiviers Tramway line in Toury.
a turning point at decauville
This locomotive is part of a series of machines built by Decauville from 1912 called type "Progress" or "type 17". Indeed, Decauville, which was a forerunner in the middle of the narrow gauge in France, is seen overtaken by many manufacturers, in particular German. At the beginning of the XXth century, the company decided to launch the design of a new type of machine, simpler and more reliable, to relaunch the activity of the company, the famous type "Progress", declined in 020T and 030T. The first 030T of this type to come out of the Corbeil workshops in Essonne was the number 1500 in 1912. The effect hoped for by Decauville is taking shape: the various networks and even the French army realize the qualities of this new construction, which made the machine very popular. Their military career began in the years 1912/1913 when 56 copies were delivered to the Moroccan Military Railways, a second boom for these machines was the start of the Great War in 1914. Indeed, the French General Staff decided to place an order with Decauville to equip the Front with these 030T Progress, which will be done very quickly. About 200 machines produced by Decauville and a hundred machines built by Kerr Stuart (an English manufacturer) on Decauville plans (the “Joffre” type) will join the trenches emblematic of the Great War. Following the war, the locomotives were bought by various industries including the Toury sugar refinery in Loiret.
The machine of the association did not experience this military stop at all, on the contrary it will have a rather quiet life. Purchased new by the Toury sugar refinery on July 31, 1929, it will be the 8th machine in this network, it will perform the operations of the beet trains. It will arrive at the Museum on February 17, 1966 and will be restored in 1982. After a few years of service it will be definitively stopped in April 1988. The association will become its owner in 1999, and since then it is on display in the museum.