N°12 - 040T franco-belge - 1902
The locomotive number 12 of the Pithiviers Transport Museum came out of the workshops of the Franco-Belge manufacturer, located in Raismes in the north of France, in 1945. This locomotive is one of the most powerful machines encountered on the 60cm track, c is also one of the largest and heaviest.
a power monster
This type of locomotives, called "HF160DKDL11", (KDL for Kriegs Dampf Lokomotive, (war steam locomotive)), is symbolic of the Second World War. Designed by Schwartzkopff (German locomotive manufacturer) in 1939 for 76cm gauge and modern military needs since its power amounts to 300 HP (against 100 on average), its production will be provided by the Franco-Belge company under German occupation from 1944. Two machines will be sent to the Eastern Front equipped with bogie tenders due to the climatic conditions of the country. They never reached their destination and their fate is unknown to us. After the War, the Franco-Belge factory will be left with parts in stock and will offer these machines for various gauge (from 60cm to 1m435). 24 machines was built (for France, Austria and Africa) after the two military engines. Several pieces of equipment were present on this machine: first of all, the addition of superheater elements in the boiler which allowed a very great force, but also a steam generator placed behind the chimney and used to create electricity for lights in the interior of coaches. This also explains the presence of an electrical panel in the cabin! Its 4 driving axles required a special system to be able to borrow classic curves, this is why the two first axles have a slight lateral clearance and the third axle is devoid of flange.
a local route
Our locomotive, built in 1945, was originally ordered by the German army. The war ended, a large number of locomotives on order were not delivered, the Franco-Belge company then contacted the company of the Local Interest Railways (VFIL), which recovered a lot. Pithiviers Toury Tramway (TPT), initially received 4 locomotives of this type, numbered from 4-10 to 4-13 (the 4-12 will be delivered on March 10, 1946). Due to these new machines, trains could be extended and trains of 250 tonnes of beets could be created. Two additional locomotives will be delivered following the closure of the Coucy-le-Château sugar refinery in 1963. These should have been numbered 4-14 and 4-15 but the TPT will not have taken time to put them back into service before it closed in December 1964. Our locomotive, 4-12 pull many trains including the farewell train in May 1965, set up by the Federation of Friends of Secondary Railways (FACS) to allow enthousiats to say goodbye to this very special layout. Following this, the machine will be sold to the Association of the Museum of Transport of Pithiviers when it was created in 1966. It return in services in 1977 after a major overhaul and rolled almost continuously until 2014, where it was stopped awaiting work on its boiler. It is now parked in the workshop, and can be viewed on request or at the European Heritage Days each year for example.